360th Anniversary of Battle of Berestechko Commemorated in Volhynia
This past weekend on the Sunday of All the Saints of Ukraine Patriarch Philaret (Denysenko) of Kiev celebrated the festal Sunday Liturgy in the historic Monastery of St. George in Plyasheva.
St. George's was built on the site of the graves of the Cossack soldiers who fell during a battle in nearby Berestechko that was fought in 1651 between the forces of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the Zaporozhian Cossack armies under Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky. After the Divine Liturgy the 360th anniversary of the Battle of Berestechko was commemorated by Patriarch Philaret with a memorial for the repose of the Cossack soldiers who were killed during its course.
Metropolitans Dymytry of L'viv and Yevsevy of Rivne; Archbishops Iov of Kremenets, Mikhail of Lutsk, and Ioan of Cherkasy; Bishops Epifany of Pereyaslav-Khmelnytskyi, Onufry of Vinnytsia, Nestor of Ternopil', and Ilarion of Chernigov; and many other clergy of the Kiev Patriarchate concelebrated the services with Patriarch Philaret.