International Conference "Politics, Ethics, and Theology The Challenges for Ukraine and Europe" to be held in Paris
International Institute for Ethics and Contemporary Issues, (Ukrainian Catholic University), Pôle de Recherche du Collège des Bernardins (Société Liberté Paix), and Lviv Business School organize International Conference in Paris "Politics, Ethics, and Theology. The Challenges for Ukraine and Europe".
At the conference among others the following questions will be addressed:
• What makes the Maidan a sui generis phenomenon?
• What is the role of witnessing, sacrifice, and solidarity in transforming post-totalitarian and post-Soviet identity (in fostering European identity)?
• How does Christianity, and specifically Pope Francis’ messages (particularly in his Evangelii Gaudium), might play a role in confronting the new challenges for Ukraine and Europe in the rapidly changing world with its growing need to experience, to acknowledge, and to protect the dignity and freedom of human persons?
• In light of the recent developments in Ukraine what is the role of values, money and/or power in determining the policy and action of Western European democracies?
• What are the conditions and limits for economic and financial cooperation with manifestly totalitarian and dictatorial governments and heads of the states?
• What moral role should large multinational business play in crises like that in Ukraine and Russia?
• How are market and profit concerns conditioned by the pursuit of values and dignity?
• Values, human rights and ecology in big money (e.g. petroleum and gas) business and political decisions.
• Vitality, progress, and Europeanness: what is the role of moral vision?
• European moral challenges and compromises: acknowledging, disregarding, or forgetting ethics?
• The concept of dignity: is there a need for reconsideration?