Guide for voting at 2019 elections developed by Evangelical Christian Baptists
All-Ukrainian Union of Churches of Evangelical Christian Baptists published a guide for Ukrainians Elections-2019: Whom To Choose? The document, signed by the Head of the ACC, Valerii Antoniuk, sets out 5 criteria according to which Christians, as conscious citizens of the country, should make a right choice of candidates for public offices.
“Every power is from God, but we must remember: not all power is that of God. That is why, while voting, it is necessary to manifest not only the civil, but also, first and foremost, Christian consciousness and responsibility,” the guide for election stresses, and indicates what should first be remembered by Christians when electing the authorities.
1. Freedom of religion “Everyone has the right to freedom of thought and religion. This right includes the freedom to profess any religion or not to profess any, to freely conduct individual or collective religious ceremonies and rites, conduct religious activities,”(Article 35 of the Constitution).
Therefore, when choosing the authorities, we choose those who value freedom and are ready to continue to provide it.
2. Correspondence of programs of candidates to Biblical (spiritual) values. Successful development of the country is rooted in spiritual sources. Spiritual ignorance, unscrupulousness, or explicit rejection of God's laws by candidates to high offices is a signal for Christians to refrain from their support. This selection criterion will help us to distinguish cheap populism from the serious spiritual convictions of those who are fighting for the right to hold positions in Ukraine. It is worth knowing what position the candidates have adopted in matters of faith, morality, churches, spiritual development of the country. Unfortunately, these questions candidates often do not cover at all or they deliberately refrain from speaking about them.
3. The danger of atheistic ideology. A Christian who helps an atheist to “come to power” commits a sin. We can not give votes for those who adhere to a godless ideology (communist, neo-Marxist, satanic, etc.). We understand that such people will ruin the country, even if they are skilled professionals.
4. Moral (Christian) virtues of people who are in power. Justice, honesty, decency, sincerity, attentiveness, selflessness are the necessary features of the character of persons who are called to make important decisions at the state level. It is necessary to take into account the extent to which the candidate is prepared to address the wounds of society: alcoholism, drug addiction, gambling, the spread of immorality, etc., all that destroys the moral foundations of society.
5. Professionalism and experience in management. Today, society is in high demand for “new faces” in politics. And many of those “new” are ready to come to power. However, it should be remembered that not every person who aspires for a public office has the necessary experience and ability in management. Not everyone can be a state-level leader.
Populism and candidates' ambitions should not make a Christian lose understanding of the real situation. In order to make the right choice, we need to be responsible to this issue and choose the authorities compliant with the Word of God and our Christian convictions.
Therefore, the Baptists remind, in 2019 every Friday the churches have a fast and pray for our state. On March 29, the All-Ukrainian Fast and Prayer for the Elections will take place so that Ukraine attain spiritual awakening and economic prosperity.