Synod of the UOC-KP determines probable subjects of negotiations with the Russian Orthodox Church
The Synod of the UOC-KP, held on December 13 in Kyiv, heard the message of Patriarch Filaret of Kyiv and All Russia-Ukraine about the establishment of the Russian-Orthodox Church Commission for Dialogue - in response to the appeal of Patriarch Filaret to the Primate and the Episcopate of the Russian Orthodox Church of November 16, 2017.
The Synod has decided:
1. To support and approve the position of Patriarch Filaret of Kyiv and All Russia-Ukraine about the necessity of dialogue with the Russian Orthodox Church to achieve reconciliation between the Ukrainian and Russian Churches, the restoration of prayer and Eucharistic communication as should exist between the Local Orthodox Churches and about recognition of the autocephalous local Orthodox Church in Ukraine – the Kyivan Patriarchate – by the Russian Orthodox Church.
2. Taking into account that previously the Russian Orthodox Church was refusing to maintain a dialogue with the Kyiv Patriarchate, and now has set up a commission for dialogue, to agree to conduct the dialogue with the Russian Orthodox Church.
The purpose of the dialogue is:
- elimination by the Moscow Patriarchate of all obstacles that currently prevent the Orthodox bishops, clergymen and faithful who live in Ukraine and recognize the jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate, to end the church separation and unite with the UOC of the Kyiv Patriarchate into a single Local Ukrainian Orthodox Church;
- the restoration by the Moscow Patriarchate of the prayer and Eucharistic communion with the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Kyiv Patriarchate, broken on its initiative, since such communion should exist between the Local Orthodox Churches;
- recognition by the Moscow Patriarchate, as one of the Local Autocephalous Orthodox Churches, of autocephaly of the Kyiv Patriarchate, as the Local Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
The Synod also decided that, from the canonical and pastoral reasons, the UOC of the Kyivan Patriarchate will not become in any form a part of the administrative structure of the Moscow Patriarchate is impossible and not a subject of dialogue.