The oldest wooden church in the Lviv region appeared on a postage stamp in Japan
"On November 9, the post office of Tokyo starts selling original stamps "Ukraine - Hino", dedicated to the cooperation of our state with the specified city within the framework of the Japanese government's host Town program on the eve of the Olympic Games," the report says.
The project was implemented thanks to the cooperation of the Embassy of Ukraine in Japan with the administration of Hino and Japan Post.
Ukraine's photos for this project were provided by the Ukrainian national news agency "Ukrinform" and Ukrainian photographer Vyacheslav Prysyazhnyuk.
Background: the Church of the Holy Spirit (1502) is the oldest wooden church in the Lviv region, built by Potters S. Potelych on the site of the Church of St Boris and Glib, which was burned down by the Tatars. Bohdan Khmelnitsky once attended a divine service here when he was waiting for runner Bunyak from intelligence.
The church is a three-log, two-storey building measuring 18.3 x 7.0 m. In the XVIII century, a new two-tiered iconostasis was installed to it. In 1620-1640 it was painted, in 1683 the famous painter Ivan Rutkovych painted the icon "Deisis". In 1718, it was restored by the master, Kazymyr Dominikovych. The subsequent restoration, carried out by the same master, took place in 1736 and 1753. Then the foundations and ceilings above the altar were replaced, the canopy was repaired, as well as the western and southern doors. The next restoration took place in 1831, then in 1903 and 1923, when all the shingle roofs and wall coverings were replaced with tin. In 1970-1972 it was restored to its original appearance. An architectural monument of national significance. At the same time, the wall painting was also restored. Nearby a wooden square plan two-tiered bell tower measuring 4.4 x 4.4 m is located, which was built at the same time as the church. The bell tower was renovated by master Kazymyr Dominikovych in 1736, and then it was restored in 1970.