Government Allocates 9.3 Million UAH to Restore Monastery
LUTSK — The government allocated 9.3 million UAH to execute the first priority emergency restoration work to eliminate the consequences of the emergency situation on the territory of Sviatohirskyi Monastery in the village of Zymne of Volyn Region. RISU’s Ukrainian-language web site posted this story on January 14, 2010.
ZAXID.NET received a report from the Department of Relations with the Media of the Secretariat of the Kyiv Municipal Department that the instruction of the Cabinet of Minister in this respect was passed at the session of the government on January 13. The funds were allocated from the reserve fund of the State Budget.
Zymne Sviatohirskyj Monastery is one of the most ancient spiritual centers of Ukraine. It is a real fortress towering on the Holy Mount over the floodplain of the Luha River near the village of Zymne. It is included in the list of the one hundred most attractive sites of Ukraine.
The monastery was first mentioned in written chronicles in a manuscript “The Life of Reverend Feodosij Pecherskyj” where it is mentioned that in 1073 a tired pilgrim, Hegumen Varlaam of the cave monastery (son of the Kyiv general Vyshata), rested here but was unable to move further and died here in a few days.
In the 16th century the monastery became one of the strongholds of Ukrainian Orthodoxy, which together with other monasteries in Volyn and Galicia struggled against the Catholicization and Polonization of the Ukrainian nobility and common people. At that time, it was often visited by the influential dukes the Koretsyjs, Vyshnevetskyjs, Radzivills, Kysils, and Vyhovskis. Some of these donators were buried in the underground crypt of the monastery’s Cathedral of Assumption of the Holy Mother of God.
Today, an Orthodox women’s monastery is located in the Sviatohirskyj Monastery of the Holy Assumption.